Antique English Serving Platter with Walnut Board

$980.00 $1,380.00

Description

16”H x 27”L x 18”D

A former venison serving piece by William Hutton & Sons. We have transformed this beautiful serving platter with dome to a contemporary walnut serving piece. An artisan made cutting board made especially for our platter. A fabulous way to bring your charcuterie spread or special treat front and center. An elegant everyday accessory. Small dents on dome. Minor loss to silver plating. Custom food grade walnut board insert. Great antique condition. British plating.

William Hutton & Sons were manufacturing silversmiths founded in 1800 in Birmingham, transferring to Sheffield in 1832. William Hutton established the firm, and with the move to Sheffield, they also became platers having licensed the electroplating technique from Elkingtons. This gave them much early success. William’s son, William Carr Hutton, continued the business after his father’s death. He used the same business name until 1864, when it was changed to William Hutton & Son (when William Carr’s own son, Herbert Hutton, joined him). When William Carr died in 1865, the firm's name was again changed to William Hutton & Sons when Herbert’s brothers joined him (James and Robert). They opened a London showroom in Holborn in 1863, which then moved to Farringdon Road in 1891 operating until 1918. The Huttons developed a new nickel alloy that was good for plating in the late 1800s and it became known as British Plate. They sent their machine-made silver flatware from Sheffield to be hallmarked in London. They acquired Rupert Favell & Co in 1893, and also registered as a limited company - William Hutton & Sons Ltd. In 1902, they bought Creswick & Co. and started to use their crossed arrows mark. They became renowned for the quality of their Arts & Crafts silverware items at the turn of the 19th and 20th century. They were taken over by James Dixon & Sons in 1930.

London

1880